How to log municipal problems


Ward 117 Councillor, Tim Truluck has shared some information with the community about how to log municipal problems. “It would help tremendously if you can start by logging the most common problems using the methods I have outlined. Once you have logged the problem, you need to give the City a week or 10 days to fix it,” said Truluck.

He explained that creating a paper trail is vital in helping to resolve service delivery problems. “I will only be able to escalate once you have logged it correctly. For me to escalate I will need specific information for each problem. Please note that each problem needs to be in a separate email or message so that I can easily escalate.”

READ Mashaba gave his first State of the City Address and revealed that R10 billion had been lost to corruption

Note: Some problems will take longer to fix than others, which, according to Truluck, is because the depots are understaffed, under-resourced and underfunded.

“There is also a massive backlog of blocked storm water drains, sidewalk repairs, park maintenance and street line-painting. In cases where problems are not easy to resolve, please remind me every two to four weeks. I get so many emails I will not be able to keep track of everything that has been forwarded to me. When you are logging, remember to always include the exact address and nearest street corner,” directed Truluck.


Water (leaks, burst pipes, sewers)

Send an email to


Electricity (power outages, cable theft, street lights, meters)

Register as soon as possible with and once you’ve done this you can log things like outages in your house, street, suburb, street lights, damaged transformers, cable theft and electricity meter problems.


Roads (potholes, sidewalks, storm water, street signs, crash barriers)

Log all road related issues via email using or the Find and Fix App.


Pikitup (dumped rubble and trash, new bins)

Call the City of Johannesburg call centre on 011 375 5555 to log any problems or to obtain a new or replacement bin. You will need to obtain a reference number. “Then send your contact details, address and reference number and I will escalate it to the depot for you. Please note that there is no stock of bins at the moment so you will go onto a waiting list and they will deliver when stock arrives,” added Truluck.


City Parks (street trees, grass cutting)

Call the City of Johannesburg call centre on 011 375 5555 to log problems. You will need to obtain a reference number. Then please send Truluck your contact details, address and reference number and he will escalate it to the depot for you. Certain things like street-tree trimming will take quite a while to get done as outside contractors have to be hired.


Add us on Whatsapp for the latest news by adding 079 4395 345 to your contact list and just send your name to us so we can save your number. Click here to find out more about our Whatsapp policy.

Shanice Naidoo

find your
dream home

looking for an

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News


Next Story x
Miss SA escapes attempted hijacking in Hyde Park after fending off a suspect

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our free NEWSLETTER
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle

Your details:

Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)